Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dear Relatives,

I'm really not sure why I have become singularly responsible for the suggestions for absolutely everyone in the family in regards to presents but I have to say it is particularly wearying and takes all the shine out of birthday and christmas surprises.

Now, I'm all for making present pruchasing practical, if there is something specifical that someone wants. I'm even happy to perpetuate the charade of passing on the wish list item/s so that the recipient can maintain the semblance of surprise when they open the gift. But, when there is nothing that the person really wants, and I'm already wracking my brains on what to get them myself, how is it that I end up with the burden of working out what other people should get them as well?

Present giving should be a process of giving something that you want to give. And, frankly, if you don't know your family members well enough to know what to give them as a gift and/or you can't be bothered putting in the time and effort to find something yourself then there really is more important aspects of the relationship that need to be worked out.

Sincerly,
The daughter who still remembers the birthday when she didn't get anything from her own mother because she didn't tell her mother anything specific that she wanted other than a surprise.

1 comment:

Rob-bear said...

I didn't know you had this blog.

Lots of very interesting insights here.